You are currently:

DVA frequently asked questions

How may we help you to help your DVA clients?

Vision Australia DVA Low Vision Assessment and Allied Health Services uses personalised testing to customise a service plan. Your clients can access the latest optical aids, daily living aids, specialty equipment and world class adaptive technology through us with full support at purchase, installation and training stages.

What is the Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP)?

The Rehabilitation Appliance Program, known as RAP, helps eligible members of the veteran community to be independent and self-reliant in their own homes through health care assessments and the provision of aids that help to minimise the impact of disabilities.

What does Vision Australia offer?

We provide a range of products and services for different visual needs. These include low vision assessments, allied health services and library services. Our products (both optical and daily living aids) can maximise a person’s remaining vision, enabling them to complete a variety of daily living tasks more easily and efficiently.

How are your clients eligible for RAP?

Your clients are eligible for RAP appliances if they have been assessed by an appropriately qualified health care professional (e.g. Optometrist, Orthoptist or Occupational Therapist)

  • Gold Card holder;
  • White Card holder (only for conditions accepted by DVA as related to service); or
  • Veteran from an allied country (only for conditions accepted by DVA as related to service).

How do my clients access RAP?

Your clients’ needs will be assessed by their doctor or a health professional, such as an Occupational Therapist or Optometrist. Their referral and prescription will be sent Vision Australia or DVA.

Can my clients receive aids and appliances if they live in a Residential Aged Care Facility?

This depends on the existing level of care they receive.

To determine what level of care they receive, your client should consult their Aged Care Provider.

The only low vision aid that DVA cannot fund under RAP are CCTVs (Desktop Magnifiers, AN11 items) if your client is receiving a greater level of care in an Australian Government funded aged care facility.

RAP items can be taken with them if they move from a lower level of care to a greater level of care, with the approval of their Aged Care Provider. DVA will still be responsible for the repair, maintenance and replacement of these items.

Can clients have their aid or appliance delivered?

Yes, aids and appliances will be delivered to their home. Freight charges, installation and training will be covered by DVA.

What if their equipment is broken?

Your clients are most welcome to contact Vision Australia if their equipment needs to be repaired.

What if my client no longer needs their equipment?

If they do not need the equipment anymore and it is under two years old, they may contact Vision Australia to arrange its collection. Alternatively, they can donate the equipment.

Why do I require prior approval?

As some items are expensive and DVA require the prescriber to clinically justify why the chosen aid is required for the client. This is to ensure that the most appropriate aid for the client was prescribed and that they know how and have the ability to use this aid. 

Is it easy to refer my client to Vision Australia for services?

Yes it is. You can refer your client using Vision Australia’s online referral form,

Find out more

Call 1300 84 74 66